Monday, June 16, 2014

Just Shrug and Laugh

Every once-in-a-while it happens that we can see something coming from a mile away and, when it finally happens, all we can do is shrug our shoulders and laugh. Such is the case with everything leading up to our biggest transition yet - developing a bi-vocational culture.


As you probably know, I began the application process to become a police chaplain for the Minneapolis Police Department about 4 months ago. It was a VERY slow process. As you probably also know, I applied and was hired for a position with the Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Board. However, this too has been a VERY slow process - I was officially hired 3 1/2 weeks ago and have yet to start.


Perhaps I should've seen this coming, and to a certain degree I did. See, I was aiming for a nice gradual process with all of this . . . become a police chaplain in April . . . get a good feel for my new schedule . . . find a part-time position that fits nicely . . . enjoy the smooth, steady transition . . . etc. However, God was aiming for something completely different (which I am currently interpreting as patience followed by chaos). After months and months of silence and waiting, I received word that I am to start both positions tomorrow (Tuesday, June 17th) - Parks and Rec at 6 AM and Chaplaincy at noon. I honestly don't know how this will work out. I guess all I can do is shrug my shoulders and laugh. Apparently I needed the reminder that the plant is His, not mine . . my calendar is His, not mine . . . my plans are His, not mine . . . my whole self is His, not mine . . . Thy will be done . . . Amen.

PS - If you haven't done so yet, please take a couple of minutes to fill out this survey. It's 5 questions, completely anonymous, and will be a huge help to us.

PPS - If you want to get further connected to the plant, feel free to sign-up on The Table for regular communications, event details, etc.

Invest in us and our work in S. Minneapolis - Click Here

Pray for us and our work in S. Minneapolis - Click Here

Participate in the life of the Community - Click Here or Here



#PlantTheGospel

No comments:

Post a Comment