Monday, August 18, 2014

Serving Those Who Serve

Last week, I (finally!) began my work as a chaplain for the 3rd Precinct of the Minneapolis Police Department. I am 1 of 3 chaplains at this precinct. My duties are essentially broken down into three categories:
  1. Police Officer Care – I will attend roll-calls, go on ride-alongs, and simply be present around the officers. The goal is to develop trust and relationships with the officers and be available for conversations and counseling . Simply put, I’m there to care for the officers in whatever ways they need it.
  2. Community Presence – I will also attend neighborhood meetings on occasion with officers in order to be a chaplain’s presence in the community.
  3. Crisis Care – Lastly, I will eventually be on call for crisis situations where a chaplain’s presence at the scene is beneficial for family, friends, and neighbors.
I am truly excited that the Lord has opened this opportunity to me to serve in this way. The fact that these men and women have voluntarily committed their lives to serving and protecting the general public, to the extent of putting themselves in mortal danger, is absolutely awe-inspiring. It is an honor and a privilege to be given the opportunity to care for and love them. Plus, it’s an opportunity to be live like Jesus, who “came not to be served but to serve.” (Matthew 20:28).

I would highly encourage all of you to pray for opportunities to serve those who serve others, even if it’s not your local police officers. However, if the Lord should give you that opportunity (or if you are simply connected personally to a cop in any way), I highly encourage you pick up and read a copy of Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement.

Invest in us and our work in S. Minneapolis - Click Here

Pray for us and our work in S. Minneapolis - Click Here

Participate in the life of the Community - Click Here or Here



#PlantTheGospel

No comments:

Post a Comment