Monday, August 25, 2014

The Reward of Missional Living

I’ll be honest with you – recently I’ve been pondering whether or not this life that we’re living is worth it. Our previous life in a congregational setting was much simpler, more predictable, and more comfortable. In other words, our previous life was easier. I didn’t work 40 hours per week at one job and then 30+ hours per week on ministry stuff for Genesis. I didn’t have to work on building something out of nothing. I didn’t have to worry if my family would literally be the only ones to show up on a Sunday morning. I didn’t have to beg and plead with God, asking him to allow someone, anyone to listen to us and our sharing of the Gospel.

This is a hard life. But I don’t write this to gain sympathy or “look heroic.” I simply share the reality of the life to which God has called us. And we completely believe God has called us to this life. Yet, in the midst of this life, God will remind us of the incredible opportunities that He’s opening up to us to be lights in the midst of extreme darkness. Friday was one of those days.
  • At work I was able to share with my bosses some details about what’s going on with the church, especially my new work with the police department as a chaplain, which elicited an “intrigued” response.  
  • During my 30-minute lunch break, I met with Holly from Prison Fellowship. She shared with me how to become an Angel Tree Church and work with the children of the incarcerated. (We’ve already signed-up and I can’t encourage you and your church enough to sign up as well, if you haven’t already). She also shared with me how the ladies of the Community can experience ministry to women in prison.
  • After work, I met with a young lady who is very urban and very spiritual, but is all over the place in regards to what that spirituality means. Yet she has come to value my Christ-centered counsel and is looking for ways to get connected to the Community.
  • After that meeting, I had dinner with a man who spent many years in prison. During his time there he became a believer. But right now his life is very challenging and he is searching for Gospel-centered answers in the midst of the storm.

Yes, this life is hard. But it is also the most rewarding life that I’ve ever lived and I wouldn’t change any of it. If you’re feeling the pull, in some way, to jump into the deep end and surround yourself with the lost, broken, hurting, outcast, and forgotten, realize that it will be exhausting in every way – physically, emotionally, and spiritually. But also realize that you will see the truths of God’s Word in your life and the lives of others in ways you may have never seen before. Likewise, you will have a deep, thick, and rich satisfaction with life as you live as “children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life.” (Philippians 2:15-16)

Invest in us and our work in S. Minneapolis - Click Here

Pray for us and our work in S. Minneapolis - Click Here

Participate in the life of the Community - Click Here or Here



#PlantTheGospel

No comments:

Post a Comment