Sunday, August 10, 2014

When Darkness Rejects the Light

Before I get into the details of the story that I want to share with you, I want to make a few things clear - 1) I LOVE my second job at Minneapolis Parks and Rec, 2) I truly enjoy working alongside my co-workers there, 3) I pray that the Spirit would work through this situation to do something incredible, and 4) I don’t know what the conclusion of this story will be.

When I first started at Parks and Rec, I discovered that there is another pastor who works there on the mowing crew. I also discovered that this pastor is teaching through the book of Proverbs at his church. Since I knew that we were about to embark on a journey through Proverbs at Genesis, I asked him if he would ever be willing to study it together at break or lunch. Naturally, he was all for it because any time to study the Word is a good time.

Finally, this past Tuesday, it finally worked for us to start talking through Proverbs at lunchtime. We were barely able to even open our Bibles before a firestorm erupted. Some in the area joked about keeping the Bible away from them because it would cause them to go up in flames. Another co-worker absolutely went off on a tirade, “That thing’s outdated . . . You gonna’ tell me some god is going to judge me? . . . ” Another co-worker vehemently declared that it was against the rules to have anything religious at work. Other co-workers stepped-in to defend our reading of the Bible. As for me, I just sat there listening (mostly because there wasn’t room for anyone else to talk). When all was said and done, we were able to read and discuss 1 verse from Proverbs.

The following day, we tried it again. This time we were able to enjoy our lunches and conversation on Proverbs. However, at the end of the day, my co-worker/fellow pastor was pulled aside by our foreman and was informed that a complaint had been filed and that our studying of the Bible during lunch made this individual uncomfortable.

As I mentioned above, I don’t know how this story will end. my co-worker/fellow pastor did not join me for lunch on Thursday and was not at work on Friday. However, I have 3 reflections on this incident:
  1. I will continue to study the Scriptures at work. Even if we need to find a different location to eat lunch, this is an incredible opportunity to grow in the Word and create a space for other co-workers who are far from God to meet Him.
  2. I will work even harder and show even more respect to my co-workers. Paul writes in 1 Thessalonians 4:10-12, “But we urge you, brothers, to do this more and more, and to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders.” It is fairly clear that many of my co-workers are currently shut off to the Gospel message. No amount of arguing, apologetics, etc. will do any good right now. My only hope is a ton of prayer and life they can see that is both worthy of respect and validates my faith.
  3. I will not get angry, but will weep. In Matthew 23:37 Jesus wept over Jerusalem and their rejection of him, “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!” It is easy for us to respond to the rejection of the Gospel with anger. But when we have the heart of Christ, our response will be one of mourning, because we know what is being rejected.
Please pray for my co-workers, especially those who are far from Christ. And please pray for myself and my fellow believers there, that we may be like Paul in Acts 17 and trust that while some may disregard us and the Jesus that we worship, others may want to hear more and some may call upon the name of Christ and be saved. 

Invest in us and our work in S. Minneapolis - Click Here

Pray for us and our work in S. Minneapolis - Click Here

Participate in the life of the Community - Click Here or Here



#PlantTheGospel

No comments:

Post a Comment